FACING THE UNTHINKABLE TRAINING EVENT
- 17 MARCH 2018
ABOUT THE EVENT 1
The aim is to assist places of worship and other faith and non-faith based organisations to develop a broad but sound understanding of the safeguarding task. The training is designed to equip attendees with the necessary tools to create robust safeguarding arrangements based on the CCPAS Staying Safe and Secure 10 Standards. The course will benefit trustees, leaders and those who work or volunteer directly with children such as crèche workers, children and youth workers and in addition, those working in adult ministries for example debt advice centres, counsellors, prayer ministries, street pastors etc.
Lisa Oakley - Safeguarding Associate , CCPAS
Dr Lisa Oakley is programme leader for the only undergraduate course in Abuse Studies in the UK based at Manchester Metropolitan University, she is also a visiting fellow at Bournemouth university and an associate with CCPAS. Her research and publications are principally in the area of faith based abuse. Recent research includes work on 'safeguarding adults in the Christian faith context, Child abuse linked to faith and belief' and 'understanding spiritual abuse'. In 2013 Lisa co-authored a book entitled ‘Breaking the Silence on Spiritual Abuse’. She has spoken extensively at academic, Christian and practitioner conferences about faith based abuse. Lisa is a member of the National working group for Child Abuse linked to Faith or Belief. Lisa is chair of the Task and Finish group on spiritual abuse at the Church of England, she is also the chair of the learning group for the past case review in the United Reformed Church.
Registration – Light refreshments on arrival and an opportunity to browse CCPAS resources
Introduction – About CCPAS
Module 1 – Understanding the Safeguarding Task
• Who are the perpetrators of abuse?
• Developments in Safeguarding and emerging issues.
• Developing a balanced approach to safeguarding.
• Understanding your unique role and responsibilities.
• Statutory definitions of abuse.
Module 2 – Signs, Symptoms and the Effects of Abuse
• Who is an adult at risk of harm?
• Signs and symptoms of abuse in adults.
• Signs and symptoms of abuse in children.
• Grooming and the power of secrets.
• Exploring additional factors (race and culture, long term effects, forgiveness)
Break – Light refreshments and an opportunity to browse CCPAS resources
Module 3 – Taking Action
• Understanding your church/organisation and their responsibilities.
• The role of the safeguarding coordinator
• Responding to concern or suspicions of abuse
• Responding to a disclosure of abuse
• Understanding the role and responsibilities of the statutory authorities
Module 4 – Safer Practices
• Policies and procedures
• Codes of conduct
• Managing those who pose a risk
• Safer recruitment
• Support for workers
Hurstwood Lane, Hurstwood, Worsthorne, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10 3LF
17 MARCH 2018
09:15 - 13:30
PRICE PER PERSON
5 DELEGATES +
** £6 WORKBOOK INCLUDED **
03 03 003 11 11 (Option 3)
Please enter details for the individuals who who will be attending this event.
Copyright © 2013 CCPAS - Company Registered in England No: 2646487, Charity No: 1004490 Scottish Charity No: SCO40578